The UNC Charlotte Center for Research Excellence (CRE) provides professional development opportunities for faculty seeking external funds to support their research and creative activity. CRE’s offerings include four signature programs:
- Catalyst: The goal of Catalyst is to enhance the research capacity of the University and institutionalize systemic support for the advancement and success of early- and mid-career faculty by: (1) providing comprehensive training in the preparation of competitive grant proposals, (2) establishing a research mentoring program, and (3) creating a community of practice aimed at facilitating and promoting the engagement of diverse groups of faculty in disciplinary and interdisciplinary research.
- CLIPP (Complex, Large, or Interdisciplinary Proposal Preparation): CLIPP is intended to help build the research capacity of the University by providing enhanced support to teams of faculty interested in preparing and submitting large, complex grant proposals to external funding agencies.
- Ignite Planning Grants: The Ignite program aims to promote new collaborative research efforts and facilitate the development of interdisciplinary teams focused on preparing competitive, large-scale collaborative proposals for significant external funding. Ignite grants seek to enhance existing areas of excellence, accelerate the development of emerging research strengths, and foster interactions between UNC Charlotte faculty and potential collaborators at other institutions.
- Faculty Research Grants: The Faculty Research Grants program provides is an internal seed grant program designed to assist faculty in conducting well-defined, purposeful, new research or creative or scholarly activities. Each individual project may have a maximum budget of $8,000. Faculty submitting joint proposals may request up to $16,000.
The Center for Research Excellence also provides the following services:
- Locating Funding: CRE maintains online resources that allow faculty to search for funding sources and list their expertise. We also perform custom funding searches and monitor and distribute print and electronic notices to faculty.
- Identifying Collaborators: We can help faculty form interdisciplinary proposal teams and help you find UNC Charlotte collaborators.
- CRE Editorial Services: We offer a range of editing and formatting services and can provide a critical reading of your proposal before it leaves campus.
- Hanover Grants Proposal Review and Support: Hanover supports client-led grant proposal projects by providing review and revision services designed to ensure the strongest possible proposals are submitted.
We're here to help you, so please contact us with your research questions and needs.
The CRE Director (Dr. LaVerne Ellerbe) oversees CRE's four signature programs and works with faculty to create interdisciplinary and multiple-collaborator grant proposals.
Our Proposal Specialist (position open) assists faculty with proposal guideline review and proposal editing, conducts specialized information searches and can provide boilerplate text about UNC Charlotte information resources.
The Coordinator of Information Services (position open) performs customized funding searches, helps faculty locate electronic information and forms, and can also help you set up or fine-tune your profile in the Pivot faculty expertise database.
Need more information?
Center for Research Excellence FAQs