International Travel

  • University-Owned Equipment, Technology, and Other Electronic Devices
    • Computers, tablets, and any other equipment owned by the university or purchased with any sponsored award (i.e., grant)
    • Unpublished software or sourcecode 
  • Research-Related
    • Presenting research data at a conference
    • Meeting with collaborators to discuss research
    • Taking samples, specimens, reagents
    • Sharing unpublished information about research results to any foreign person during an international travel

Note: Shipping any of the items listed above to a foreign destination should also be in accordance with applicable export control laws and regulations. The examples above are not exhaustive. Please refer to the University’s website on Export Control. If you still have questions, contact the Export Control Officer for additional information.

Before taking any University-owned equipment/technology abroad, you must register with the ORPI by filing the International Travel with University-Owned Equipment Form at least 14 days prior to departure.

  • The registration with ORPI serves as a Temporary (TMP) Export License Exception Certification that a traveler should have available during the trip.
  • A license may be required to take the items listed above abroad, and it can take several months for the agency to review and approve a license. A license may be required when the TMP exception is not applicable.
  • Training: The University offers training through the CITI Program on safeguarding equipment/technology/data during International Travel. It is highly recommended that travelers complete this training before traveling abroad.
  • Personal equipment/technology not purchased using university funds or sponsored awards are not subject to these requirements. 
  • Keep your computer and other electronic devices with you at all times in a hotel safe or other secure location.
  • University property can not be taken to an embargoed country without consulting the Export Control Officer. Please reference the Countries of Concern page for more information on this policy. 
  • When applicable: Change your password(s) after returning home.
  • If you need to access the internet while abroad, always use the University’s Secure VPN.
  • If property is stolen or confiscated while abroad, file and obtain a copy of a police report and notify the Export Control Officer.
  • If you use any digital device abroad, there is a possibility that malicious software will be inserted into the device or that information on your device will be accessed. 
  • Do not leave the device unsecured in your hotel room or car.
  • The university offers some options for “clean” electronic devices that can be taken abroad.

Acquaint yourself with the risks of carrying digital devices when traveling outside the U.S. by reviewing the State Department’s website.

Assume that all information on your devices may be publicly accessible. Do not travel with confidential, controlled, or sensitive information on your devices. Federal agents may search international travelers’ laptops or other electronic devices —including taking the device to an offsite location for review. This policy applies to inbound and outbound travel.

Biological and Chemical Materials: International travel with biological or chemical samples constitutes an export under U.S. export regulations and may require a license. Also, there may be additional health and safety requirements for transporting these materials. If you intend to travel with or ship biologics or chemicals, consult with the Export Control Officer beforehand.

Export Control Officer contact information: or 704-687-1877