Bridge Funding Guidelines

Bridge Funding provides short-term financial support to faculty to span a temporary period or gap in extramural support. The funding targets productive faculty and established projects that have a track record of support and that demonstrate a high probability of continued funding by external sponsors. Thus, Bridge Funding awards are for existing, ongoing research programs that have lost funding. They are not intended to provide seed funding, support new projects or new research directions, or makeup shortfalls in active awards.

Funding Available

A maximum of $100,000 in bridge funding may be requested for 12 months. The applicant’s department or unit is expected to provide 25% of the total requested funds. The remaining 75% is split between Research and Economic Development (25%) and Academic Affairs (50%). Thus, the ratio of the cofunding is 1:1:2.


  • Full-time, tenure-track or tenured faculty with a history of extramural funding. Faculty with significant funding for other projects or from other sources are not eligible.
  • The faculty member must have been a PI on a grant-funded for at least three consecutive years by a national agency or sponsor.
  • A proposal for continued support of the project must have been submitted within 9 months of the project’s anticipated end date or new end date if the project is unexpectedly terminated. If funding ran out before the submission of a renewal/new application for extramural funding, the project is not eligible for a bridge award.

Application Materials

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Materials should be submitted as a packet to the Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development.

  • Cover letter from the PI that (1) explains the circumstances and need for bridge funding, (2) describes how the funding will increase the likelihood of a future award, and (3) documents the feedback from any unsuccessful attempts to secure funding for the project.
  • Letter of support from the applicant’s Department Chair or unit head that includes a commitment to match the funds requested.
  • An updated curriculum vitae.
  • A summary (in tabular form) of the proposals (declined and pending) submitted in the last 12 months to support the project. The summary should include the funding source/agency and the date of submission.
  • List of other sources of support available to the faculty member within the next 12 months, including internal grants and start-up funds.
  • Reviews or critiques from recent submissions.
  • A detailed budget and budget justification that includes both the bridge and matching funds.

Allowable Expenses

Bridge Awards may be used for:

  • Materials, supplies, and consumables
  • Salaries and benefits for research support staff

Bridge Awards may not be used for:

  • Travel (except to reach the research site/location)
  • Equipment or equipment repairs
  • Faculty salaries
  • Tuition
  • Consultants or subawards

Spending and Repayment

Awarded funds must be spent during the award period and in the following order: department/unit, Research and Economic Development, and Academic Affairs. No cost extensions are not permitted. If the PI receives a new award within the bridge funding period, any unexpended funds must be returned to the funding sources.

Review Process

Bridge funding applications will be reviewed by the Provost and the Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development. Priority will be given to applicants that have not received bridge funding awards in the past 5 years. Award notifications are typically made within 6 weeks of the submission date.