Office of Research Protections and Integrity (ORPI)
Advancing Ethical Research at UNC Charlotte
The Office of Research Protections and Integrity (ORPI) provides oversight, education, and support for integrity and compliance issues related to research at UNC Charlotte. Our staff promotes ethical and high-quality research by partnering with faculty, staff, and students in the navigation of the evolving regulatory environment.
As the University’s hub for research oversight, the ORPI encompasses programs for Animal Care and Use, Biosafety, Conflict of Interest, Export Control, Human Subjects Research Protection, Laboratory Animal Resources, and Research Integrity (Research Misconduct and Responsible Conduct of Research). Dr. Angelica Martins serves as the Executive Director for the unit. Please refer to the contacts below and to our component program pages for resources to support your work at the University. We look forward to assisting you!
- Conflict of Interest – Assists faculty and staff with program-related form submission and policies, especially U.P. 101.24, Conflicts of Interest and Commitment, and U.P. 102.1, External Professional Activities of Faculty and Other Professional Staff. Reviews conflict of interest (COI) disclosure forms and coordinates with department heads and the UNC Charlotte COI Committee to mitigate conflicts of interest.
- Human Subjects Research – Facilitates the activities of the Institutional Review Board (IRB) and supports investigators pursuing approval to conduct human subjects research.
- Biosafety – In conjunction with the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), ensures safe and compliant use of biohazardous materials in campus research.
- Export Control – Protects the transfer of information, technology, commodities, and software in accordance with Federal law.
- Responsible Conduct of Research – Ensures compliance with the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training requirements of various sponsors, including the NIH, NSF, and USDA/NIFA.
- Research Integrity – Addresses allegations of research misconduct in accordance with University policy and federal regulations.
- Animal Care and Use – Coordinates the review of animal protocols by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) to ensure the ethical use of vertebrate animals in research or teaching.
- Laboratory Animal Resources – Manages care of vertebrate animals used in research and supports investigators with tailored training and research services.
Dr. Angelica Martins
Executive Director of Research Protections and Integrity and Research Integrity Officer (RIO)
Associate Director of Research Protections and Integrity and COI Officer 704-687-8270
IRB Specialist 704-687-8341
Dr. Cathy Moore
Facility Security Officer and Export Control Officer
Dr. Linda Connolly
Research Protections and Integrity Specialist
Research Protections and Integrity Consultant
Dr. Glicerio Ignacio
Animal Care Manager, Laboratory Animal Resources
Animal Care Assistant Manager, Laboratory Animal Resources 704-687-8318